Caterina's words are in bold. My personal comments are in italics.
This was one of the best interview in the series. A woman I hadn't heard of until now had an awesome impact!
- 'Do what you love' sounds silly until it works.
- Cliches are cliches for a reason. Follow your dreams is a foolish thing to tell somebody, and probably even more silly to believe. Until it works, and you've succeeded doing something you love.
- Auto-didacticism. If you’re passionate about something and you want to learn it, you can. And you will.
- A major theme of this series is to always be learning. And, like learning all throughout life, that happens through willpower and commitment. Teach yourself the things you want to learn. Others won't teach it to you. You can learn from others, but you must teach yourself.
- No matter how far you’ve gone down the wrong road, turn back
- The sunk cost fallacy is probably most prevalent in our own lives. If you're in the wrong job for a year, or your company has been making poor decisions, today is the earliest you can change that. And if it should be changed, don't put it off.
- Don’t have time? Lies- we’ve all got time for the smallest daily commitment. What’s the story you’re telling yourself?
- Another 'Love This' moment. We've all got time. It's about prioritizing. Everyone- or at least everyone reading this blog post- has 30 minutes in a day that they can find to commit to pursuing an interest or a project.
- "What's the story you're telling yourself" is an alternative to Bernard Roth's (Stanford Engineering) mantra of "Live a life without excuses." Don't say 'you cannot because' or 'you did not because'. You simply did not, or found a reason you cannot. Remove the reason, and you'll make it happen.
- Success leads us astray. Stop chasing prizes.
- The prize is not the goal. In many ways, there is no goal. Jeez I sound Buddhist.
- If I didn't tell CJ's Lionel Richie story that he referenced 8 times, it would be as if I didn't even watch the series. Lionel had a year where he was on top. He won a grammy, a tony, and 7 other awards. And when he reached the pinnacle of achievement, what did he find at the top of the mountain? Nothing. It feels good, then you get back to work.
- So stop chasing something you don't even understand. Enjoy the ride, that's the whole point.